You’d think that making and completing a to-do list would be a simple task. However, for an entrepreneur, this is a huge list of tasks, some which are difficult to accomplish.
How do you make completing your to-do list simple? How do you increase the likelihood of success with your daily to-do list? Make it something that cannot overwhelm you.
- Write it down. Your brain can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Make sure it only has to remember the next thing on your list.
- Make your to-do list the night before. Early morning is when you get the most done. Don’t spend that highly active time on planning.
- Keep your list in one location. Don’t allow it to be spread across different platforms or in different media.
- Define steps and times of each task. Don’t just leave it up to your good judgment. Put down as many details as possible about how long it will take and any mini-steps involved so that your brain does not have to remember them.
- Priorities, priorities. If you only got three things done tomorrow, what would they be? Make sure you put the most important things first, just in case you don’t get even 60% of your list done.
- Can anything be deleted? If there is a task you keep putting off, perhaps it is a “should” task, rather than a “desire” task. Put anything you “should” do at the end of your list and delete it if you skip it repeatedly.
- Delegate to people who do it better. This is not a pride thing. This is a specialty thing. Allow other people in your life to do what you cannot do better. Allow the time of the task to be divided among friends.
- Small tasks and the big picture. Make sure you view your schedule in the context of the full day while also giving undivided attention to each small step.
- Group similar tasks together. Get everything in the same category done all at once, one after the other, quickly.
- Put higher energy tasks in the morning. Save the tasks which make your brain foggy for the afternoon when you are working at a slower pace.
Tackling your to-do list can be fun and simple if you allow it to be. Happy working!